May 09, 2008

My Head Hurts!!!

After trying last night to brighten up my outlook on life, I find that being back in Japan, on my own again, is not good for my mental state and the intake of the 'old amber fluid essence' (5 large (ish) glasses of Hoegaarden to start with!!) to bring that certain warm light back into my mind, definitely had the wrong effect and it hurts!!!

Although I have made quite a few friends through work and going to the local Irish bar (Ell's Ditch) in Tokuyama over the last ‘16’ months, I still feel quite empty and would love to go and do something that does not include alcohol, does not cost much and stimulates the mind. Strewth, go and talk to somebody you say!

Its easy if you speak Japanese and I do not and probably will never grasp the fundamentals of the language, as I am a engineer and I think in terms of technicalities, numbers and general thing flying around in space. (Its was bad enough learning English, etc, although I do know a smattering of Italian, as I worked in Naples many years ago, etc)

As an example, its pouring down with rain right now. Not good, everything is grey,that includes my room and mind. So, I went out for a walk in the rain, to refresh the parts that the pain killers were not reaching and after about '30 minutes' I decided that I was in need of some purchasing activities. Well after blowing nearly "£50" (10000 yen) last night, (Alcohol, etc) I decided that I would limit my potential spontaneous spending spree to a signal green 'Kit-Kat'. (Green chocolate and wafer, tasted OK, it was in date, and I have not been sick yet. (The Japanese market is not happy/content with bog standard milk chocolate) ) So after that particular quick interlude I decided to walk around the small Town centre and see what I could find that I had not found on my previous tours around Tokuyama. Well apart from noticing more shops had closed since my last visit in December last year, nothing really had changed. So, now quite wet, slightly dejected and cold, I decided to go back to the hotel and read and/or listen to music or something.

I got back to the hotel and remembered that I forgot to pick up my laundry yesterday from reception. So I asked the lady for my things and was given two bags. The nice young lady then quickly advised me (Bowed head and no eye contact!) that the hotel laundry service would not tackle my ‘socks and skids’ but the shirts and trousers had been sorted. (I must admit when I was filling the laundry slip out yesterday, I thought it was odd to not have entries for under garments, etc. But I used the spare spaces on the slip to add them in, hoping they would be done, just as when I stayed in the other hotel across the road many times last year)

So now I will have to wash them myself but it’s raining outside and there is nowhere to dry them in the room!!! Super!!! (It going to be simpler to nip to the local shop and buy new ones and sort them out when I get home.)

Still got the headache.

Listening to ‘Rachmaninov (Rachmaninoff if you prefer) Piano Concertos #3’ (Rach 3) now I am back in my gloomy hotel room, calms the mind and sole. If you are ever after an abstract film to watch have a look at “Shine”. A super film about a pianist named “David Helfgott” who suffers a mental breakdown, I might join him soon as my mind is going into overload. (Better to watch and understand rather than to read my transcription.)

All I ask is that you remember that ‘sanity is a compromise’.

Think on………

(Many thanks to "Vivian Stanshall" for continued guidance and support from the past and the grave)

No comments: