OMG I just stumbled across your blog searching for some info on my favorite Tokuyama pub and found my picture still up there! I left Japan in 2006! (I’m in the picture with the quote “Rolling stones gather no moss” --- in the green tank) When was this picture taken?
For those of you past and present in Tokuyama, December 07th 2009, Isobe, owner of Ell's Ditch, took his own life. At this time I don't have details, and I don't wish to speculate as to his reasons why. People who saw him on Saturday and Sunday said he was fine. He will be sorely missed. Please remember his lovely wife Eri and his son who is only 3, in your prayers.
So sad. My friend Yuki just e-mailed me and shared the sad news. (I found your blog again after looking up Ell's Ditch). I have many, many fond memories of Hiro. He took me to my first baseball game in Hiroshima. I even gave him such a hard time about not having cranberry at his bar that he eventually went out and got it, even though it's hard to get the stuff. And after joking around about the famous gaijin bar in Fukuoka where topless chicks and naked guys get free drinks all night, he offered nomihodai and tabehodai if I stripped down to my birthday suit! (And then told my Japanese friend the offered only applied to gaijin women.) Haah. And then the trips to the beach in his Chevy. Good times. *sigh* We had some drama too, but it just made my experience, well, more interesting.
Hiro was one of those people in Japan I knew I would never forget. It's so sad that if and when I do go back to Tokuyama to visit, he won't be there. RIP Hiro.
I took the picture in 2008 and although I was back in Tokuyama in November 2010, Ell’s Ditch had been closed for a long time and ended up being another one of the many lack lustre back street pubs in Tokuyama. (Apart from the change in name, it looked identical from the outside, etc.)
If you remember ‘Mike and Bernie’, they both frequent the ‘Oriental Bar’ now, not far from Ell’s Ditch that was. I must have been one of the only persons to actually have been given an Ell’s Ditch ‘T’ shirt, which I wear with pride, especially so, as Ell’s Ditch was partly responsible for many a happy drinking binges, followed by mega hangovers, etc.
I will get around to posting some more pictures but my general rule was only to post while I was in Tokuyama, so I suppose I have one in hand but I should be back in sunny Tokuyama later this year.
Nearly all the main pictures will go large when clicked on!
The pictures were taken with my Nikon D1x camera and AFS f2.8 17-35mm lens or my handy Nikon S700 camera. You can use any picture providing it is not for commercial use, unless you have been given my prior agreement.
My son a few years ago
Happy at last
Clean at last!
In the sun
Yes Please
If only! But I would be happy with the D3x.
The Holy Grail!
If you don’t get you will never know, believe me it’s true!
The view from my hotel room in Tokyo!
Taken from my room in the Tokyo Dome Hotel
The view from my hotel room in Tokuyama!
Taken from my room in the Route Inn Hotel, Tokuyama
5 comments:
OMG I just stumbled across your blog searching for some info on my favorite Tokuyama pub and found my picture still up there! I left Japan in 2006! (I’m in the picture with the quote “Rolling stones gather no moss” --- in the green tank) When was this picture taken?
For those of you past and present in Tokuyama, December 07th 2009, Isobe, owner of Ell's Ditch, took his own life. At this time I don't have details, and I don't wish to speculate as to his reasons why.
People who saw him on Saturday and Sunday said he was fine.
He will be sorely missed.
Please remember his lovely wife Eri and his son who is only 3, in your prayers.
Regards
Bernie O'Mahony
So sad. My friend Yuki just e-mailed me and shared the sad news. (I found your blog again after looking up Ell's Ditch). I have many, many fond memories of Hiro. He took me to my first baseball game in Hiroshima. I even gave him such a hard time about not having cranberry at his bar that he eventually went out and got it, even though it's hard to get the stuff. And after joking around about the famous gaijin bar in Fukuoka where topless chicks and naked guys get free drinks all night, he offered nomihodai and tabehodai if I stripped down to my birthday suit! (And then told my Japanese friend the offered only applied to gaijin women.) Haah. And then the trips to the beach in his Chevy. Good times. *sigh* We had some drama too, but it just made my experience, well, more interesting.
Hiro was one of those people in Japan I knew I would never forget. It's so sad that if and when I do go back to Tokuyama to visit, he won't be there. RIP Hiro.
:(
Hi Karen,
Sorry for such a late reply!!!
I took the picture in 2008 and although I was back in Tokuyama in November 2010, Ell’s Ditch had been closed for a long time and ended up being another one of the many lack lustre back street pubs in Tokuyama. (Apart from the change in name, it looked identical from the outside, etc.)
If you remember ‘Mike and Bernie’, they both frequent the ‘Oriental Bar’ now, not far from Ell’s Ditch that was. I must have been one of the only persons to actually have been given an Ell’s Ditch ‘T’ shirt, which I wear with pride, especially so, as Ell’s Ditch was partly responsible for many a happy drinking binges, followed by mega hangovers, etc.
I will get around to posting some more pictures but my general rule was only to post while I was in Tokuyama, so I suppose I have one in hand but I should be back in sunny Tokuyama later this year.
All the best,
Andy H.
Tokuyama is a shell of its former self now.
Aoki-san opened a new bar called 'Switch' but this has been closed for several months now.
I no longer go out in Tokuyama.
Aah the happy days of 2000 ~ 2009.
Post a Comment