October 25, 2008

Praying Mantis






While I was minding my own business at work yesterday, I spotted a rather beautiful if not menacing looking Praying Mantis.

Although I did not mind picking it up, which I did, it was quite unnerving to have the little monster scoot up my arm towards shoulder, then it just sat there looking at me. This is a first for me, as I have never seen a real life Praying Mantis before and it was pointed out to me that this particular model was a female version judging by the size of its abdomen. (Yep its butt definitely looked big under those fine looking green wings of hers.)

What I liked most about this little scary creature was the way it kept swaying around with its two front legs folded back, ready for action. I picked it up off my shoulder and decided that it was time to show my new friend to one of the girls who works in the factory where I am overseeing the build of some new trains. The young lady was not impressed one bit, nor was the second girl either, so I decided to let it go but only after watching it scoot around my desk very rapidly for an hour or so. It was most definitely was interested in me, as it kept making a rapid charges towards my hand and whisking up the outside of my sleeve and if you placed your finger near its head, its little front legs would shoot out and grab hold and it would pull its self up on to my hand, great.

The little insect was all over my works laptop and quite happily sat there watching me type but as soon as my hand came close, it got me and went walkies over my shoulder again, again and again. This is one super little creature and it has superb eyes. You could look straight into them and see the little black spot within.

I suppose am lucky that I am significantly bigger than this little critter, as I am sure it would take a chunk out of me for its supper, if I was a similar size but did not appear to be that scared of me! It was if it was playing with me! Who knows?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.