June 15, 2008

Marmite and nothing (Sensible) to spread it with.


I was determined to have some home comforts when I got back to Japan, especially in my hotel room in Tokuyama. So armed with a large (ish) jar of Marmite, some plain and fruited buns (The latter by pure mistake) I just purchased, I was prepared for a reasonable feast, or so I thought.

My first and only fundamental mistake with the above, is that I did not bring a knife from England to spread the Marmite with. I searched my hotel room for something approaching, or at the very least masquerading as knife but to no avail. I even had a good look through the complimentary brewing kit tray for a spoon as well but no joy here either. So I was forced into making a decision, I either dipped the bread bun into the Marmite (Not a sensible idea, as the aftermath to my taste buds would be extremely painful), I use my finger (Not very hygienic and could sting in the odd cut or graze) or I find another implement that could double up as a knife.

So after a quick search, I found a toothbrush in the washroom. (Unused and still in its manufactures wrapping, just in case you ask) I peeled the wrapper off, inserted into the jar of Marmite and hey presto, one Marmite sandwich. A little bit on the strong side in flavour but OK. (Marmite and fruited buns (See the attached ‘still life’ picture) does not work, I just tried that too!!)

And before you ask, I used the flat end of the toothbrush, not the bristled end. ((I am not that stupid and it did not cross my mind at all.) Although Marmite flavoured toothpaste could sell well!!! You will either ‘love or hate it’!!)

No comments: